This picture of my mom’s aunt Sara Halladay is a glimpse into the past. My mom’s aunt was apparently a teacher at Sunny Hall School which at one time was a one room schoolhouse on the edge of (the current) Christopher Dock campus. Things my mom, Sara Benner remembers about Sara Heebner Halladay:
- May have been a teacher at Sunny Hall School, Lansdale, Pa
- Very outgoing personality that couldn’t do enough for you
- Didn’t marry till later in life but kept in touch by writing letters and always signed them, “Lovingly, Sara”
- Married Paul Halladay and had two children, Ruth Mary and Karleton
- Merrill and Sara Benner stopped in on them when they needed a place to stay in Indiana while on vacations. One time they came late at night and brought 5 children with no prior warning. Aunt Sara was very surprised at their arrival but was gracious. Sara Benner had a 1 year old and when Sara Halliday wanted to give Beverly (the young baby) a bottle, Sara B said not to give it to her since Beverly would not eat any breakfast.
- Heebner’s didn’t go very far in school, but Sara was different and possibly had more schooling than Dan or Willard (other 2 children from second wife [Katie] and Daniel Heebner)
- Paul died unexpectedly and after he died Sara missed him so much, especially at the table. So she sat in his place at the table.
- They had lived in Chicago for a while but then settled in Indiana.
- Paul was an excellent singer.
The picture is circa early 1960s possibly when my parents stopped in on them while taking a family trip to Oklahoma. Pictured are Paul, Ruth Mary, and Sara Halladay.